The professional development plan of the Middletown Public Schools is aligned with the District Strategic Plan and the School Improvement Plans of our four (five) schools. This plan is designed to accomplish the Middletown Public Schools Strategic goals of centered around curriculum instruction and assessment, safe, healthy and supportive environments, parent-family-community engagement and the utilization of resources.
District Professional Development Guiding Principles/Aims
• To improve student learning and achievement by promoting high quality classroom instruction
• To promote collaborative district wide professional development
• To use professional development to expand staff capacity and provide staff with seed work that is actionable and directly impacts student learning
• To promote educational leadership among the administrative staff
• To provide opportunities and resources that support professional development activities initiated by an individual staff member or group of staff members
• To promote and support innovation, risk-taking, and experimentation which improves teaching and learning
• To provide professional development that is ongoing and sustained, that can be applied in the classroom and that ultimately becomes institutionalized as part of our formal educational programs
• To support an educator’s professional responsibility to remain current in their field and assume a leadership role within their content area(s) and pedagogy.
• To assist staff in meeting recertification/highly qualified guidelines for professional licensure
• To incorporate technology as an integral part of the Middletown curriculum
To address these goals, Middletown’s Professional Development Plan is presented within the framework suggested by the Rhode Island Department of Education Professional Learning Standards.